Monday, February 7, 2011

Petron-BPI Credit Card Illegally Used

I've been a victim of credit card fraud. I called up my bank's Customer Representative to ask if what goods were purchased aside from Petron. It was reported that my  incoming Account Statement has Facebook and Paypal transactions.

Checking Bought Items

I've never used my credit card for online purchases nor have I typed my credit card number into a computer. When our Account Statement arrived we checked the fraudulent transactions. My hubby went on to check if Facebook offers information for what was bought. He googled for the search query "facebook dispute credit card" and he landed on Facebook's Dispute Resolution Center page.

Facebook Dispute Resolution Center

Following the instructions written in the Facebook Dispute Resolution Center, we learned that my credit card was used to purchase an in-game item for Restaurant City.

Fraudulent Restaurant City Payment

Protect Your Card Security Code

We wondered how was the purchase made possible. I went to my Restaurant City game account to see what credit card information was needed to make the purchase. As it turns out it only required your Name, Credit Card number and the CSC, which is the three-digit number at the back of your card.

Required Credit Card Information
So this is how easy for the crooks to use your Credit Card for their own benefits. They can be anyone who can get a hold of your Credit Card like the obvious robber, or the least suspicious someone who is working as a Waiter, a Gas boy, or a Cashier. So everyone beware, you need to protect your CSC which is the three digit number at the back of your credit card, by removing/scratching it or put a permanent marker on it.

Petron C5 Silang Taguig

As for me, I have reason to believe that it all started when we had a gas up at Petron. As I recall it at that time, when we paid for the gas up my card took almost 30 minutes to process the payment. It was the only time for the last three months that I have used my Petron-BPI Credit Card again.

BPI Statement of Account
Our Course of Action

We've already sent our letter of payment reversal to the bank and we're currently waiting for the feedback. I'd like to note that we've reported this issue to the bank as early as possible prior to receiving the SoA as posted above. The bank's Credit Card Unit seem to start investigating after you have send them back the SoA with the list of invalid transactions.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Did BPI credit back to your account the disputed charges or you still paid them? I have the same problem right now since my card was used to buy an Apple gadget online. Thank you so much.

    Keren

    ReplyDelete